Three Ways to Improve How You Work
by Andrew Cooke, Growth & Profit Solutions
We are often so busy doing the work that we forget to take a step back and give ourselves the time to focus and re-energize ourselves. Here are 3 tips for improving your personal effectiveness, no matter what you do.
1. Boost your personal efficiency
When looking at profit improvement potential (or waste) in a business it is often said it is easy to identify 30% of your current overheads as ‘waste’. The same can be said if you audited yourself for your levels of efficiency. 30% of what you do on a day-to-day basis is waste. Outside the box ways to boost your efficiency are required. Some key tips are:
- Hire a Virtual Assistant to prevent you performing tasks you don’t have to
- Stop doing many of the things that are not in the 20% of things you do which create 80% of the benefit
- Build processes and document all aspects of your business you currently do ‘naturally’ so you can delegate more of what you do
- Use the latest technology platforms such as Ipads, Livescribe pens and various apps to better collect your notes, ideas, strategies and increase your speed in finding them at a later date
2. Protect your energy levels
Think of the networks of people in business and personally you associate with on a regular basis. Are these people providing you a boost in your energy levels when you connect with them or are they taking away your valuable energy levels (acting as what we call ‘Energy Vampires’)? If you have the balance wrong and have a large portion acting as ‘Energy Vampires’ it can have a detrimental effect on your ability to implement change and deliver the outcomes you are seeking. Perform a quick audit on your circle of business and personal contacts; what do you have to change?
3. What is your ‘theme’ for the next 12 months?
Having a theme for your plans for the next 12 months can help focus more acutely your team, customers and importantly yourself on what’s important when driving strategies / actions. Themes could include: “Innovation”, “Growth”, “Efficiency”, “Profit”, “Downsize”, “Consolidate” or “Improve Life Balance”.
What has worked or not worked for you? Share your knowledge, share the wealth!